Formats and tools
- Unit Description
- Reconstruct the unit from the xml and display it as an HTML page.
- Assessment Tool
- an assessor resource that builds a framework for writing an assessment tool
- Assessment Template
- generate a spreadsheet for marking this unit in a classroom environment. Put student names in the top row and check them off as they demonstrate competenece for each of the unit's elements and performance criteria.
- Assessment Matrix
- a slightly different format than the assessment template. A spreadsheet with unit names, elements and performance criteria in separate columns. Put assessment names in column headings to track which performance criteria each one covers. Good for ensuring that you've covered every one of the performance criteria with your assessment instrument (all assessement tools together).
- Wiki Markup
- mark up the unit in a wiki markup codes, ready to copy and paste into a wiki page. The output will work in most wikis but is designed to work particularly well as a Wikiversity learning project.
- Evidence Guide
- create an evidence guide for workplace assessment and RPL applicants
- Competency Mapping Template
- Unit of Competency Mapping – Information for Teachers/Assessors – Information for Learners. A template for developing assessments for a unit, which will help you to create valid, fair and reliable assessments for the unit, ready to give to trainers and students
- Observation Checklist
- create an observation checklist for workplace assessment and RPL applicants. This is similar to the evidence guide above, but a little shorter and friendlier on your printer. You will also need to create a seperate Assessor Marking Guide for guidelines on gathering evidence and a list of key points for each activity observed using the unit's range statement, required skills and evidence required (see the unit's html page for details)
- Self Assessment Survey
- A form for students to assess thier current skill levels against each of the unit's performance criteria. Cut and paste into a web document or print and distribute in hard copy.
- Moodle Outcomes
- Create a csv file of the unit's performance criteria to import into a moodle course as outcomes, ready to associate with each of your assignments. Here's a quick 'how to' for importing these into moodle 2.x
- Registered Training Organisations
- Trying to find someone to train or assess you? This link lists all the RTOs that are currently registered to deliver AHCDRG501, 'Design drainage systems'.
- Google Links
- links to google searches, with filtering in place to maximise the usefulness of the returned results
- Reference books for 'Design drainage systems' on fishpond.com.au. This online store has a huge range of books, pretty reasonable prices, free delivery in Australia *and* they give a small commission to ntisthis.com for every purchase, so go nuts :)
Elements and Performance Criteria
Elements describe the essential outcomes.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1. Determine design requirements
1.1 Determine water transfer, recharge, reuse and harvesting system needs
1.2 Describe processes of collecting, disposing and storing drainage water to avoid degrading water quality
1.3 Investigate regional geology and geography to predict drainage parameters
1.4 Apply hydrological calculations to predict volumes and rates of surface run-off
1.5 Conduct site investigations to assess depth of clay, depth of ground water, soil and water salinity, and structural or chemical impediments so as to determine the most cost effective drainage system
1.6 Document predictions of leaching fractions and salt movements, and develop soil amelioration and drainage management plans
1.7 Determine the need for leachate interception and dewatering system and if required prepare construction specification for interception and collection, disposal, reuse or recycle
1.8 Confirm drains and structures are capable of carrying the design water volumes and intensities according to enterprise standards
1.9 Identify construction specifications required to make drainage systems in accordance with environmental and work health and safety requirements
1.10 Identify and protect environmentally sensitive areas according to local, state and federal legislation and regulations
2. Design a drainage system
2.1 Select systems, including relevant equipment, to move water efficiently to water storage or treatment and at the flow and pressure required in design specifications
2.2 Select system combinations that are efficient, reliable, functional, serviceable and flexible for the intended application
2.3 Determine energy requirements and check layout of electricity lines with local authority if electrical pumps and motors are used in the system
2.4 Select structures, pipes, valves and accessories and integrate into a functional system that can be monitored and maintained
2.5 Define the work required to make suitable drainage systems available to the enterprise in the design specifications
2.6 Confirm power supply design specification with power authorities if electrical pumps and motors are used in the system
2.7 Minimise damage from drainage system issues
2.8 Design output is checked by an appropriately experienced and qualified person
3. Determine capital expense budget
3.1 Estimate materials required from plans and specifications
3.2 Estimate labour requirements based on documented work schedule with reasonable allowance for variances in work schedules
3.3 Base costing for each component on quoted information from suppliers, or sound analysis of individual elements
3.4 Document design calculations, performance indicators and decisions and relevant information in plans, specifications and manuals
3.5 Budget output is checked by an appropriately experienced and qualified person
4. Determine operating expense budget
4.1 Optimise the relationship between capital and operational costs including a comparison of energy sources
4.2 Collate all operating expense applicable to the completed drainage system and calculate an operating expense budget