Formats and tools
- Unit Description
- Reconstruct the unit from the xml and display it as an HTML page.
- Assessment Tool
- an assessor resource that builds a framework for writing an assessment tool
- Assessment Template
- generate a spreadsheet for marking this unit in a classroom environment. Put student names in the top row and check them off as they demonstrate competenece for each of the unit's elements and performance criteria.
- Assessment Matrix
- a slightly different format than the assessment template. A spreadsheet with unit names, elements and performance criteria in separate columns. Put assessment names in column headings to track which performance criteria each one covers. Good for ensuring that you've covered every one of the performance criteria with your assessment instrument (all assessement tools together).
- Wiki Markup
- mark up the unit in a wiki markup codes, ready to copy and paste into a wiki page. The output will work in most wikis but is designed to work particularly well as a Wikiversity learning project.
- Evidence Guide
- create an evidence guide for workplace assessment and RPL applicants
- Competency Mapping Template
- Unit of Competency Mapping – Information for Teachers/Assessors – Information for Learners. A template for developing assessments for a unit, which will help you to create valid, fair and reliable assessments for the unit, ready to give to trainers and students
- Observation Checklist
- create an observation checklist for workplace assessment and RPL applicants. This is similar to the evidence guide above, but a little shorter and friendlier on your printer. You will also need to create a seperate Assessor Marking Guide for guidelines on gathering evidence and a list of key points for each activity observed using the unit's range statement, required skills and evidence required (see the unit's html page for details)
- Self Assessment Survey
- A form for students to assess thier current skill levels against each of the unit's performance criteria. Cut and paste into a web document or print and distribute in hard copy.
- Moodle Outcomes
- Create a csv file of the unit's performance criteria to import into a moodle course as outcomes, ready to associate with each of your assignments. Here's a quick 'how to' for importing these into moodle 2.x
- Registered Training Organisations
- Trying to find someone to train or assess you? This link lists all the RTOs that are currently registered to deliver MARC4004A, 'Operate deck machinery and steering gear on a vessel up to 80 metres'.
- Google Links
- links to google searches, with filtering in place to maximise the usefulness of the returned results
- Reference books for 'Operate deck machinery and steering gear on a vessel up to 80 metres' on fishpond.com.au. This online store has a huge range of books, pretty reasonable prices, free delivery in Australia *and* they give a small commission to ntisthis.com for every purchase, so go nuts :)
Elements and Performance Criteria
Prepare for operation
Routine pre-operational checks of steering gear or deck machinery are completed prior to use according to manufacturer specifications and organisational procedures
Equipment is set up
Tools and equipment appropriate to work requirements are selected, checked for safety and set up for operation
Equipment faults or malfunctions are identified and reported according to organisational procedures
Work health and safety (WHS)/occupational health and safety (OHS) hazards in the work area are identified, and risks are assessed and reported according to organisational procedures
Operate steering gear and deck machinery
Suitable personal protective equipment is selected and used according to organisational procedures
Steering gear and deck machinery are operated in a safe and controlled manner
Performance and efficiency of steering gear and deck machinery operations is monitored
Safe operational practices are used to anticipate and control hazards
Adverse sea and weather conditions which may impact on the operation of steering gear and deck machinery are identified and operational practices are adjusted to maintain safety of vessel and personnel
Shut-down procedures are conducted according to manufacturer instructions and organisational procedures
Malfunctions, faults, irregular performance or damage to steering gear and deck machinery are reported according to organisational procedures
Steering gear and deck machinery is cleaned and secured according to organisational procedures
Operational records are completed according to organisational procedures