Formats and tools
- Unit Description
- Reconstruct the unit from the xml and display it as an HTML page.
- Assessment Tool
- an assessor resource that builds a framework for writing an assessment tool
- Assessment Template
- generate a spreadsheet for marking this unit in a classroom environment. Put student names in the top row and check them off as they demonstrate competenece for each of the unit's elements and performance criteria.
- Assessment Matrix
- a slightly different format than the assessment template. A spreadsheet with unit names, elements and performance criteria in separate columns. Put assessment names in column headings to track which performance criteria each one covers. Good for ensuring that you've covered every one of the performance criteria with your assessment instrument (all assessement tools together).
- Wiki Markup
- mark up the unit in a wiki markup codes, ready to copy and paste into a wiki page. The output will work in most wikis but is designed to work particularly well as a Wikiversity learning project.
- Evidence Guide
- create an evidence guide for workplace assessment and RPL applicants
- Competency Mapping Template
- Unit of Competency Mapping – Information for Teachers/Assessors – Information for Learners. A template for developing assessments for a unit, which will help you to create valid, fair and reliable assessments for the unit, ready to give to trainers and students
- Observation Checklist
- create an observation checklist for workplace assessment and RPL applicants. This is similar to the evidence guide above, but a little shorter and friendlier on your printer. You will also need to create a seperate Assessor Marking Guide for guidelines on gathering evidence and a list of key points for each activity observed using the unit's range statement, required skills and evidence required (see the unit's html page for details)
- Self Assessment Survey
- A form for students to assess thier current skill levels against each of the unit's performance criteria. Cut and paste into a web document or print and distribute in hard copy.
- Moodle Outcomes
- Create a csv file of the unit's performance criteria to import into a moodle course as outcomes, ready to associate with each of your assignments. Here's a quick 'how to' for importing these into moodle 2.x
- Registered Training Organisations
- Trying to find someone to train or assess you? This link lists all the RTOs that are currently registered to deliver POLSAR009, 'Coordinate police search and rescue operation'.
- Google Links
- links to google searches, with filtering in place to maximise the usefulness of the returned results
- Reference books for 'Coordinate police search and rescue operation' on fishpond.com.au. This online store has a huge range of books, pretty reasonable prices, free delivery in Australia *and* they give a small commission to ntisthis.com for every purchase, so go nuts :)
Elements and Performance Criteria
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element. Where bold italicised text is used, further information is detailed in the range of conditions section.
1. Plan for search and rescue operations
1.1 Establish coordination centre to facilitate effective management of search and rescue operation.
1.2 Assess environmental factors to determine impact on search and rescue operation.
1.3 Identify resource requirements to undertake search and rescue operation and in accordance with environmental factors.
1.4 Identify role and capabilities of other search and rescue authorities to assist in search and rescue operation.
1.5 Select search patterns in accordance with environmental conditions/factors.
1.6 Develop rescue plan to assist in managing search and rescue operation.
1.7 Develop contingency plans to account for dynamic circumstances.
1.8 Review feasibility of plan in accordance with resources availability/capability and search and rescue mission.
1.9 Evaluate plan continually taking into account environmental context and nature of search and rescue incident.
1.10 Assess resources requirements for extended operations.
2. Implement search and rescue plan
2.1 Maintain critical decision records for accountability purposes.
2.2 Modify search and rescue plan in accordance with changing circumstances.
2.3 Evaluate search and rescue implementation continually to maximise probability of detection.
2.4 Facilitate family liaison to ensure next of kin are briefed.
2.5 Liaise with stakeholders to ensure effective coordination of resources.
2.6 Apply electronic search techniques to support search and rescue operation.
2.7 Seek medical advice to determine target's timeframe for survival.
2.8 Calculate probability of detection to assess effectiveness.
2.9 Determine when situation exceeds role/responsibility/capability for possible handover to another authority.
2.10 Identify follow-on actions required for ongoing coordination of search and rescue operation.
3. Coordinate resources
3.1 Delegate roles and responsibilities to ensure coordination of assets.
3.2 Allocate taskings and search areas in accordance with personnel and asset capabilities.
3.3 Monitor completion of tasks to ensure safety and task compliance.
3.4 Identify welfare and support considerations for personnel in accordance with WHS practices.
3.5 Facilitate resupply of resources to support SAR operations.
4. Employ media strategies
4.1 Determine media involvement in accordance with requirements of search and rescue operation.
4.2 Provide information to the media to assist search and rescue operation.
4.3 Liaise with media to manage accuracy and timeliness of information.