Formats and tools
- Unit Description
- Reconstruct the unit from the xml and display it as an HTML page.
- Assessment Tool
- an assessor resource that builds a framework for writing an assessment tool
- Assessment Template
- generate a spreadsheet for marking this unit in a classroom environment. Put student names in the top row and check them off as they demonstrate competenece for each of the unit's elements and performance criteria.
- Assessment Matrix
- a slightly different format than the assessment template. A spreadsheet with unit names, elements and performance criteria in separate columns. Put assessment names in column headings to track which performance criteria each one covers. Good for ensuring that you've covered every one of the performance criteria with your assessment instrument (all assessement tools together).
- Wiki Markup
- mark up the unit in a wiki markup codes, ready to copy and paste into a wiki page. The output will work in most wikis but is designed to work particularly well as a Wikiversity learning project.
- Evidence Guide
- create an evidence guide for workplace assessment and RPL applicants
- Competency Mapping Template
- Unit of Competency Mapping – Information for Teachers/Assessors – Information for Learners. A template for developing assessments for a unit, which will help you to create valid, fair and reliable assessments for the unit, ready to give to trainers and students
- Observation Checklist
- create an observation checklist for workplace assessment and RPL applicants. This is similar to the evidence guide above, but a little shorter and friendlier on your printer. You will also need to create a seperate Assessor Marking Guide for guidelines on gathering evidence and a list of key points for each activity observed using the unit's range statement, required skills and evidence required (see the unit's html page for details)
- Self Assessment Survey
- A form for students to assess thier current skill levels against each of the unit's performance criteria. Cut and paste into a web document or print and distribute in hard copy.
- Moodle Outcomes
- Create a csv file of the unit's performance criteria to import into a moodle course as outcomes, ready to associate with each of your assignments. Here's a quick 'how to' for importing these into moodle 2.x
- Registered Training Organisations
- Trying to find someone to train or assess you? This link lists all the RTOs that are currently registered to deliver SIFTVM003A, 'Operate a backhoe, front-end loader or excavator'.
- Google Links
- links to google searches, with filtering in place to maximise the usefulness of the returned results
- Reference books for 'Operate a backhoe, front-end loader or excavator' on fishpond.com.au. This online store has a huge range of books, pretty reasonable prices, free delivery in Australia *and* they give a small commission to ntisthis.com for every purchase, so go nuts :)
Elements and Performance Criteria
Plan and prepare work.
Evaluate work activity and determine most productive operating techniques.
Obtain permits and licences where required according to workplace policies and procedures, and relevant legislation.
Adjust, change and inflate tracks or tyres according to manufacturer instructions and site conditions.
Carry out start-up park, shut-down and communications procedures according to manufacturer instructions and site-specific requirements.
Check backhoe or loader controlsand functions and report faults according to workplace policies and procedures.
Read and interpret site drawings and plans.
Devise work schedules and methods consistent with job requirements.
Interpret information written on survey pegs and establish depth and grade to site plans.
Identify, verify and mark location of services according to plans and drawings.
Identify features from site drawings or plans.
Identify and clarify levels on survey pegs according to workplace policies and procedures.
Operate backhoe, front-end loader or excavator.
Drive machine according to traffic regulations, OHS procedures, site plans and operating conditions.
Select appropriate machines and fit appropriate attachments according to job requirements, soil and rock types, and soil conditions.
Maintain safe grip and productivity according to operating conditions.
Strip topsoil according to job specifications.
Carry out excavation boxing according to job specifications.
Carry out excavations around existing underground services according to job specifications.
Mix materials according to job specifications.
Carry out backfilling, levelling, spreading and landfilling or landscaping according to job specifications and tolerances.
Attach, secure, lift, carry and place materials.
Establish weight of load and select and attach appropriate slings and gear.
Secure and check slings and attachments.
Carry out slinging, lifting, carrying and placing of materials according to job specifications, relevant legislation and manufacturer instructions.
Handle loads safely and identify and avoid on-site hazards.
Observe communication protocols to ensure safety of operator and other personnel according to workplace policies and procedures.
Position machine according to type of haul vehicle and job specifications.
Load trucks and wagons according to job specifications and workplace policies and procedures.
Maintain backhoe, front-end loader or excavator.
Carry out routine operational servicing, lubrication and housekeeping tasks according to manufacturer instructions and workplace policies and procedures.
Carry out minor maintenance according to manufacturer instructions and workplace policies and procedures.
Remove and replace worn or defective parts according to manufacturer instructions and workplace policies and procedures.
Provide support for major vehicle maintenance tasks according to workplace policies and procedures.
Record maintenance work according to workplace policies and procedures.
Clean and store machine attachments according to manufacturer instructions and workplace policies and procedures.
Shut down and clean up.
Clean, maintain and store tools and equipment according to manufacturer instructions and workplace policies and procedures.
Dispose of waste material according to relevant legislation and workplace policies and procedures.