Formats and tools
- Unit Description
- Reconstruct the unit from the xml and display it as an HTML page.
- Assessment Tool
- an assessor resource that builds a framework for writing an assessment tool
- Assessment Template
- generate a spreadsheet for marking this unit in a classroom environment. Put student names in the top row and check them off as they demonstrate competenece for each of the unit's elements and performance criteria.
- Assessment Matrix
- a slightly different format than the assessment template. A spreadsheet with unit names, elements and performance criteria in separate columns. Put assessment names in column headings to track which performance criteria each one covers. Good for ensuring that you've covered every one of the performance criteria with your assessment instrument (all assessement tools together).
- Wiki Markup
- mark up the unit in a wiki markup codes, ready to copy and paste into a wiki page. The output will work in most wikis but is designed to work particularly well as a Wikiversity learning project.
- Evidence Guide
- create an evidence guide for workplace assessment and RPL applicants
- Competency Mapping Template
- Unit of Competency Mapping – Information for Teachers/Assessors – Information for Learners. A template for developing assessments for a unit, which will help you to create valid, fair and reliable assessments for the unit, ready to give to trainers and students
- Observation Checklist
- create an observation checklist for workplace assessment and RPL applicants. This is similar to the evidence guide above, but a little shorter and friendlier on your printer. You will also need to create a seperate Assessor Marking Guide for guidelines on gathering evidence and a list of key points for each activity observed using the unit's range statement, required skills and evidence required (see the unit's html page for details)
- Self Assessment Survey
- A form for students to assess thier current skill levels against each of the unit's performance criteria. Cut and paste into a web document or print and distribute in hard copy.
- Moodle Outcomes
- Create a csv file of the unit's performance criteria to import into a moodle course as outcomes, ready to associate with each of your assignments. Here's a quick 'how to' for importing these into moodle 2.x
- Registered Training Organisations
- Trying to find someone to train or assess you? This link lists all the RTOs that are currently registered to deliver TAELLN805, 'Design and conduct pre-training assessment of adult language, literacy and numeracy skills'.
- Google Links
- links to google searches, with filtering in place to maximise the usefulness of the returned results
- Reference books for 'Design and conduct pre-training assessment of adult language, literacy and numeracy skills' on fishpond.com.au. This online store has a huge range of books, pretty reasonable prices, free delivery in Australia *and* they give a small commission to ntisthis.com for every purchase, so go nuts :)
Elements and Performance Criteria
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1. Design a pre-training assessment process to analyse adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
1.1 Design assessment process based on a validated assessment framework
1.2 Contextualise assessment process within organisational, policy and legislative framework and program funding profile
1.3 Create pre-training assessment kit that provides opportunity for candidates to demonstrate their range of language, literacy and numeracy skills
1.4 Select location for the assessment that meets the needs of candidate and assessor
2. Conduct the assessment
2.1 Clarify assessment process with candidate, including context and purpose
2.2 Note and record conditions of assessment
2.3 Tailor assessment process to meet individual needs of candidate, particular context and requirements of assessment
2.4 Select and use questioning and self-assessment strategies to assess oral communication and learning
2.5 Select and use range of reading and writing tasks for assessment purposes
2.6 Select and use range of numeracy tasks for assessment purposes
3. Analyse data to establish candidateâ€™s language, literacy and numeracy skills
3.1 Compare responses to interview questions with benchmarks in relevant frameworks to analyse oral communication and learning
3.2 Compare responses to reading material with text features and performance strategies to analyse reading skills
3.3 Compare samples of candidateâ€™s writing with text features and performance strategies to analyse writing skills
3.4 Compare responses to numeracy tasks with numeracy features and performance strategies to analyse numeracy skills
4. Provide effective advice on suitable program options
4.1 Provide feedback to candidate on assessment outcomes emphasising strengths and positive strategies
4.2 Apply current knowledge of VET provision in discussions with candidate
4.3 Apply current knowledge of options suiting specific needs of candidate when discussing future options for skill development
5. Report outcome of assessment
5.1 Maintain records of assessment process, evidence collected and outcome according to policies and procedures of the training organisation and/or funding body
5.2 Report outcome of assessment process to relevant parties in required format and manner and in line with confidentiality requirements
6. Evaluate the assessment process
6.1 Collect feedback on the pre-training assessment process from relevant parties
6.2 Improve assessment processes in response to evaluation